Firefighters from Lexington County Fire Services, Columbia Metropolitan Airport, Batesburg-Leesville and Irmo were dispatched to the 300 block of Broad Street – to Derrick’s Service Center – in reference to a commercial structure fire.
Upon arrival several vehicles and a gas tanker were on fire. Firefighters immediately began extinguishing the fire and fire-suppressing foam was utilized by Columbia Airport fire trucks.
The gas station, which was also utilized as a service garage was also on fire and was extinguished by firefighters.The building was deemed to be a total loss, while four vehicles and the gas tanker were destroyed. There were no injuries reported. It is believed that the fire was caused when a spark ignited fumes of the gas truck while it was offloading it’s gas supply at the gas station.