From Dawn Kujawa – Lexington Two Schools – Forty Lexington Two seventh- and eighth-graders have been selected to perform in the Lexington Two Honor Band.
The Honor Band is a two-day band clinic, scheduled this school year on March 3-4. Students will rehearse at Airport High School with master educator Mike Doll, who has more than 20 years of instrumental music teaching experience and serves as band director at Palmetto Christian Academy in Mount Pleasant.
“This is a great way for students to apply the information and skills we cover in our class,” said Kevin Sweatt, band director at Northside Middle. “It is so rewarding to see students feel successful after their audition.” More than 50 Lexington Two middle school students auditioned.
Below are the names of the students selected to be in this year’s Lexington 2 Honor Band Clinic:
- Flute: Teonnia Monroe and Daysha Belton, Busbee Creative Arts Academy; Andrew Roberts, Northside Middle
- Oboe: Jayson Mikkelson, Busbee Creative Arts Academy
- Bassoon: Kevin Flores Bautista, Busbee Creative Arts Academy
- Clarinet: Averie Bailey, Luis Garcia, Francisco Ortiz, and Gianni Vargas, Busbee Creative Arts Academy; Haley Peteja, Gavin Pareja, and Sophie Hannah, Fulmer Middle; Ruth Ann McCarty and Pamula Ravenell, Northside Middle
- Alto Sax: Ryan Knight and Charlie Balkema, Northside Middle; Isabelle Carpenter, Pine Ridge Middle
- Tenor Sax: Dany Rojas, Busbee Creative Arts Academy; Donovan Norris, Northside Middle
- Trumpet: Bella Francis, Alex Neal, and Noah Meador, Busbee Creative Arts Academy; Payton Earhart, Fulmer Middle; Makayla Whitener, Northside Middle
- French Horn: Allicen Caulder, Fulmer Middle
- Baritone: Dana Brown and Lana Damron, Busbee Creative Arts Academy; Jaylen Thompson, Fulmer Middle; Ashilee Harrison, Northside Middle
- Trombone: Quan Vo, Busbee Creative Arts Academy
- Tuba: Stanley Thomas and Elijah Flemming, Busbee Creative Arts Academy; Peyton Baston, Fulmer Middle
- Mallets: Christopher Vasquez-Cruz, Busbee Creative Arts Academy; Hannah Harmening, Fulmer Middle; Justin Sightler, Pine Ridge Middle
- Snare: Trennen Adams-Sutton, Busbee Creative Arts Academy; Hector Hernandez, Fulmer Middle; Cannon Powell, Northside Middle
- Timpani: Bryce Loughery, Northside Middle
The Lexington Two Honor Band is designed to give middle school students across the district an opportunity to experience audition before they compete in state events.
“This is such a valuable experience for our students,” said Hunter Reese, band director at Busbee Creative Arts Academy and Honor Band coordinator. “It provides them a safe place to audition and be nervous before they go to state tryouts.”