At Cayce’s City Council meeting, Aug. 4, Assistant City Administrator Shaun Greenwood presented a process strategy that allows for the city to demolish unsafe structures. The plan follows International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) guidelines.
Greenwood said the plan gives “teeth” to the city’s authority to remove dangerous properties.
Council had already approved $50,000 to pay for demolishing unsafe structures.
Greenwood presented a list of potentially unsafe properties, but he said many could be repaired before they are demolished.
Here is the top 10 ” Dilapidated Structure List” from Lt. Brian Lorick, of the Cayce Public Safety Department. ritized list of structures that need to be addressed by the Unsafe Structure
Program. A rating system from one to three, one being the worst, two being
moderate and three being the least severe. Once the program is in place the city will start with the
number one’s and work through the list until the funds are expended.
1. 1107 Allen Street (1)
2. 2811 Tree Street (old military barracks building) (1)
3. 1414 Lafayette Avenue (1)
4. 1325 Poplar Street (1)
5. 1517 Poplar Street (1)
6. 1511 Hart Street (1)
7. 1610 & 1612 Jones Street (1)
8. 1537 & 1539 Benedict Street (1)
9. 1531 Benedict Street (1)
10. 2214 Lee Street (2)
Description of unsafe structure
An unsafe structure is one that is found to be dangerous to the life, health, property or
safety of the public or the occupants of the structure by not providing minimum
safeguards to protect or warn occupants in the event of a fire, or because such structure
contains unsafe equipment or is so damaged, decayed, dilapidated, structurally unsafe
or of such faulty construction or unstable foundation, that partial or complete collapse is
Structure unfit for human occupancy
A structure is unfit for human occupancy whenever the code official finds that such
structure is unsafe, unlawful or, because of the degree to which the structure is in
disrepair or lacks maintenance, is insanitary, vermin or rat infested, contains filth and
contamination, or lacks ventilation, illumination, sanitary or heating facilities or other
essential equipment required by this code, or because the location of the structure
constitutes a hazard to the occupants of the structure or to the public.
Notices and Orders
Whenever the code official determines that there has been a violation of the IPMC or
has grounds to believe that a violation has occurred, notice shall be given in the manner
prescribed in Sections 107.2 and 107.3 to the person responsible for the violation as
specified in the IPMC. Notices for condemnation procedures shall also comply with
Notices shall be in accordance with the following:
1. Be in writing.
2. Include a description of the real estate sufficient for identification.
3. Include a statement of the violation or violations and why the notice is being
4. Include a correction order allowing a reasonable time to make repairs and
improvements required to bring the dwelling unit or structure into compliance with
the provisions of this code.
5. Inform the property owner of the right to appeal.
6. Include a statement of the right to file a lien in accordance with Section 106.3.
107.3 Method of service
Such notice shall be deemed to be properly served if a copy thereof is:
The notice will be:
1. Delivered personally;
2. Sent by certified or first class mail addressed to the last known address; or
3. If the notice is returned showing that the letter was not delivered, a copy thereof
shall be posted in a conspicuous place in or about the structure affected by such
Here is the rest of the list:
11. 2324 & 2326 Lee Street (2)
12. 1203-1207 Lucas Street (old block apartments) (2)
13. 2807 Tree Street (2)
14. 2832 Tree Street (2)
15. 2817 Peach Street (old military barracks building) (2)
16. 2001 & 2003 Congaree Drive (old Reedy residence) (2)
17. 1520 Hopkins Street (2)
18. 1328 Poplar Street (2)
19. 1520 Poplar Street (2)
20. 1303 Frink Street (2)
21. 610 Frink Street (2)
22. 2825 Tree Street (old mobile home in fenced lot) (2)
23. 2855 Tree Street (O’neal Reeds’ old mobile home and white block building) (3)
24. 1416 Pond Street (3)
25. 1804 Sulton Street (3)
26. 1405 Michaelmus Avenue (3)
27. 2303 Julius Felder Street (old Star Club building) (3)
28. 2240 Julius Felder Street (3)
29. 731 McDuffie Street (old boarded up home across from 734 McDuffie) (3)
30. 1810 8th Street (3)
31. 1705 Wadsworth (house has burnt down-waiting on insurance claim) (3)
32. 734 McDuffie (3)
33. 1345 Michaelmus (3)
34. 1817 Middle Street ( Commercial)